Tomato Sauce home made

Tomatoes were EVERYWHERE in my house. On tables, counters, tv's, bookcases, in dresser draws, my purse!
They were taking over. I looked around one day and my house looked like I a TV episode of tomato hoarders. So what's a girl to do? Start making sauce of course!




This recipe is not for the novice or faint of heart. In other words it's for people who can cook by just looking at a picture and throwing something together. 
What you'll need:
A pot
A pot with water already boiling
Tomatoes
Salt to taste
Wash ripe tomatoes, place them in the "pot with water already boiling" for about 2 minutes.  This process makes it easy to remove the skin. Remove them from water and peel.
After peeling the tomatoes you can cut them up. But if your feeling really indolent, just throw them Add the "other" pot, cover with a lid and bring them to a simmer, stirring occasionally. They will produce a lot of their own juice. In the above photo, the juice you see in the tomatoes is a picture perfect example of what I mean. 
So, I threw a bunch of them in the pot, added a little salt and cooked them "down" to a consistency that looked like sauce to me. When they were "done" I poured the sauce in to canning jars and processed them for about 20 minutes. (those are the tomatoes you see in the photo "Summer's Bounty")

If you don't know how to can, don't fret. You can still do what I did. You simply let the tomatoes cool off, place them in freezer bags or containers and freeze.
Later I'll post more technical details of canning tomatoes. 

No comments: